Skip to main content

CHEAP TRICKS // HEAT BASED DEEP CONDITIONING WITHOUT A STEAMER/DRYER

Hi guys,
     I hope you all are doing great. I have been thinking of how to make my blog better and I came up with a few ideas. I am thinking of introducing new series like the one above - cheap tricks which will feature once a month. It will contain tips and tricks I have learned along the way to make your hair journey much more affordable. I hope you will all benefit from it.
   My first trick is: Heat based deep conditioning without a steamer or dryer. As you may know deep conditioning and heat (moist heat) go hand in hand.  Infact I am yet to find any deep conditioner that does not recommend conditioning with heat. For example SHEA MOISTURE'S DEEP TREATMENT MASQUE (which I have reviewed on this blog) recommends using heat for 30 minutes while ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER (review coming up soon) recommends 10-15 minutes with heat. Why you may ask. Well the heat opens up your cuticles which makes absorption of nutrients much more effective and also a lot faster. However if you are like me and you are too cheap to get do not have a steamer or dryer you may opt for using your body temperature rather than a direct heat source to Deep condition.  How does it work? After applying your product, you put on one (or two) shower caps and go about your business. Your body heat slowly conditions your hair under the cap. The problem with this method is that it takes upwards of an hour to be really sure your strands have absorbed every nutrient it possibly can. Infact a lot of us keep our shower caps on overnight to ensure a thorough deep conditioning. I find it so uncomfortable because I haven't found a shower cap that doesn't give me a terrible headache after 10 minutes. So having it on overnight is a nightmare. Also if you don't really have a lot of time you may be tempted to put off deep conditioning  altogether rather than shuffle about with a painful head for an hour or more. The easy thing to do would be to buy a steamer or dryer and get it done with right? But what if you do not want to commit your funds to getting either one?
This post will show you how to get your deep conditioning done fast and effectively without a dryer or steamer in 5 simple steps:


1. Deep condition as usual.




2. Wrap hair in either cling film or a nylon bag or a light shower cap.
 
 
 
 3. Get a thick hand towel. Boil some water and pour it in a bowl. Immerse the towel into the boiling hot water and use a hanger or anything else with a hook to bring it out. Carefully wring it with either another  towel or with a wooden ladle
 
 




4. After carefully wringing out as much of the hot water as possible, place it over the first wrap. Please be extremely careful with this so you don't get burned. Its best to have a thick towel on your shoulders when you are doing this.





5. Place a bigger thicker shower cap  over it all. Ensure you fold in the ends of the towel inside the cap to minimise dripping . If your cap is snug enough you will only get a few drips. If you have a towel on your shoulders then the drips shouldn't be much of a bother.

 

In about a minute or 2, you should begin to feel the heat all over your head. Its a nice feeling too (he he). Now depending on the time limit specified on the product I usually have to do this once or twice. For instance, with the SHEA MOISTURE that recommends 30 minutes with heat I do this twice, that is, I change the towel after 15 minutes and leave it on for another 15 minutes and I'm done. On the other hand, since the ORS recommends 15 minutes tops, once I put in the final shower cap, I am done after 15 minutes. My hair is usually soft and moist and warm when I take of all the load.
So if like me you are not ready to invest in a steamer or dryer ,but want faster more effective deep conditioning in the comfort of your home, you can try this method. I am sure you will endorse it.


                                                    Thanks for stopping by...
                                                                     KimB

Comments

  1. Haven't tried the hot towel method but the cling film is always a win for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolo.. did you just say hot water on your hair is a sweet feeling? This babe oo
    I will try this
    fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really worth trying - I'll tell you how it goes. Btw, I love your hair x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, looking forward to an update from you :-)

      Delete
  4. My staple DC (Nothing But) doesn't require heat. Although sometimes I still heat it up. Noted your method, will come in useful someday. I sneak into the kitchen sometimes and microwave a big towel for 30 seconds to 1 minute and wrap round my plastic covered head, to help with my conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm this microwave method sounds like a win to me. Another way to conquer the DC. Thanks for sharing :-)

      Delete
  5. I am impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    healthy hair
    pixie haircuts
    precision Haircuts
    hair extensions
    eyelash extensions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love your blog. We just followed each other on Instagram and I immediately checked out ur blog. I am a (lazy) naturalista and ur posts have given my hair hope n life loool. Loooove!

    www.epiphany29.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks doll :-) I fell in love with your ig too. Please don't give up on your hair,Your curls are lovely!


      Delete
  7. Love your hair and your blog! I'm definitely going to try this out on my next washday! :)

    oyimesmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PRODUCT REVIEW // ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER

Hi guys,                                                                                                                                                      I'm here with another review. This time its the ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER. Do not let the name fool you, it's actually a deep conditioner and not a wash out conditioner. Here's my honest review: Meet the product:     Product claims:   Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner helps to restore moisture & repair  damaged hair. Ingredients: Water, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycerin, Polyquaternium 37, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Quaternium 80, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citral , D Limonene, Linalool, , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, PEG 9 Dimethicone, Anthemis Nobilis Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Rosmarinus Officinal

DIY// HOW TO MAKE AN APPLICATOR BOTTLE

Hi guys,      I hope you are all doing well. I have missed blogging so much and I feel really good that I can now so it more often since my schedule is getting a bit less crowded. I also hope you like the new blog design.     If you live in Nigeria then you are aware that things are getting out of hand financially. The recession is hitting really hard and it seems no one is immune. Inspite of this I do not want my Fro to suffer so I am working on making a lot of homemade products and utensils to ensure my hair doesn't feel the strain of the harsh economy.    Today I will be showing you how to make an APPLICATOR bottle from any old plastic bottle you have at home. Why bother you ask? Read my post about different ways to use an  Applicator bottle .       Let's get right into it. Here's what you'll need: Small plastic bottle with cover A candle/lighter/gas A match stick Scissors METHOD 1. Remove the bottle cover from the bottle. Using the scissors hold t

How to create a a sleek faux bun with short natural hair!!!!

Hi people!    So its been a while since my last post and I apologize. I have been all kinds of busy but I have got something really cool for you all today. I haven't really done any hairstyle posts on this blog  because in my bid to retain length I just cornrow and throw on a wig. I have been doing that for months with the random Afro-puff thrown in once in awhile but this week I just wasn't  in the mood for any of my wigs. I decided to finally do something I have been dying to do: a faux bun!! Its super easy just follow the steps below and you'll be rocking your faux bun in a couple of minutes :-)                                                                                                Preparing my hair I stretched my hair with my cornrows first. I took out the braids then moisturised and sealed: My stretched hair  I sectioned my hair into 2 parts. I started from the front section. I added some Ecostyler gel, brushed it lightly with a toothbrush and pulled