Skip to main content

Healthy hair pratices

Hi there,
  As you embark on your healthy hair journey it is important to build and maintain a  good regimen. These are what a good regimen consists of:

Moisturise
Water or water based leave-in conditioners are the best way to get moisture into your hair.
You should moisturise daily or according to your hair needs.

Seal
This is when you apply a butter or oil to your already moisturised hair to prevent moisture loss. This is a very important step and should not be skipped. Oils like Castor, Olive ,Almond ,Coconut oil are great for sealing.

Condition
 A conditioner helps to restore moisture to hair and it improves the condition of the hair. This is a very important step in healthy hair care. You may condition your hair weekly after each shampoo (if you use shampoos) or just wash with it as explained below.

Co-wash
This is when you use a conditioner to wash your hair rather than a shampoo which can dry out your hair. This can be done as much as twice a week or weekly depending on your hair needs.


Deep condition
This is a more intense conditioning system and it works in conjunction with heat. The heat allows the ingredients penetrate the hair shaft. It is important to deep condition after you shampoo or once weekly.


Shampoo
This is a process of washing your hair to rid it of oils, dirt or product build up. Because shampoos can dry out your hair it is important not to use it often. There are sulphate shampoos(which dry out the hair and strips it of all oils leaving it prone to breakage) and sulphate free shampoos (which clean without drying out the hair completely)Most naturals shampoo their hair once a month to remove product build up while others do it bi-monthly, relying mostly on co-washing between shampooing


Prepoo
This is what you do to prepare your hair for shampooing. You coat your hair with oils or conditioner for upwards of 45 mins before you shampoo so that your hair is not dried out by the process. Any oil will do.


Hot oil treatments
This is when some oil is warmed up and applied to the scalp for upwards of 1hr.The oil can also be applied to the length of the hair and should be accompanied by a good massage. This treatment can condition/soften your hair, eliminate dandruff, strengthen your strands and promote hair growth. This can be done weekly just before a shampoo and can serve as a prepoo too.

Protective styling
This is important because the less you handle your hair the more length you'll retain. Styles like twists, cornrows, braids and buns are great as long as they are not done too tight. Wigs and weaves are also good but remember to moisturise your hair under them.

Trimming
This should be done when needed to eliminate split ends, single strand knots and weak and damaged ends.

This list is by no means exhaustive. There are other healthy hair practices like henna treatments, steaming, protein treatments, mud/clay treatments, clarifying/chelating etc. but these ones I have listed above are the holy grail of healthy hair practices. Try to build a functional regimen that you can stick to.
Wishing you the best in your healthy hair journey.


KimB
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PRODUCT REVIEW // ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER

Hi guys,                                                                                                                                                      I'm here with another review. This time its the ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER. Do not let the name fool you, it's actually a deep conditioner and not a wash out conditioner. Here's my honest review: Meet the product:     Product claims:   Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner helps to restore moisture & repair  damaged hair. Ingredients: Water, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycerin, Polyquaternium 37, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Quaternium 80, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citral , D Limonene, Linalool, , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, PEG 9 Dimethicone, Anthemis Nobilis Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Rosmarinus Officinal

DIY// HOW TO MAKE AN APPLICATOR BOTTLE

Hi guys,      I hope you are all doing well. I have missed blogging so much and I feel really good that I can now so it more often since my schedule is getting a bit less crowded. I also hope you like the new blog design.     If you live in Nigeria then you are aware that things are getting out of hand financially. The recession is hitting really hard and it seems no one is immune. Inspite of this I do not want my Fro to suffer so I am working on making a lot of homemade products and utensils to ensure my hair doesn't feel the strain of the harsh economy.    Today I will be showing you how to make an APPLICATOR bottle from any old plastic bottle you have at home. Why bother you ask? Read my post about different ways to use an  Applicator bottle .       Let's get right into it. Here's what you'll need: Small plastic bottle with cover A candle/lighter/gas A match stick Scissors METHOD 1. Remove the bottle cover from the bottle. Using the scissors hold t

How to create a a sleek faux bun with short natural hair!!!!

Hi people!    So its been a while since my last post and I apologize. I have been all kinds of busy but I have got something really cool for you all today. I haven't really done any hairstyle posts on this blog  because in my bid to retain length I just cornrow and throw on a wig. I have been doing that for months with the random Afro-puff thrown in once in awhile but this week I just wasn't  in the mood for any of my wigs. I decided to finally do something I have been dying to do: a faux bun!! Its super easy just follow the steps below and you'll be rocking your faux bun in a couple of minutes :-)                                                                                                Preparing my hair I stretched my hair with my cornrows first. I took out the braids then moisturised and sealed: My stretched hair  I sectioned my hair into 2 parts. I started from the front section. I added some Ecostyler gel, brushed it lightly with a toothbrush and pulled