Skip to main content

DIY MID-LENGTH CROCHET BRAIDS

Hi guys,
    My hair has been through a lot of manipulation these last couple of weeks so I decided to give it a well deserved break. I had been dreaming of crochet braids for a while but I was a little hesitant because of how my last crochet braiding went. Remember? It took over 6 hours and was so heavy I had to remove them almost immediately. All in all I was desperate to put my hair in a protective style so I manned up and tried my hands on crochet braids once again. This time it was a lot better, faster and lighter. The reason? I used a bigger bobby pin and I used a different brand of Marley hair.

I found bigger bobby pins!

Compared with the one I used the last time.

I used this Marley braiding hair from Supreme. It was really light. I used one and a half packets:



The Marley hair was too long for me. I wanted medium length braids so I had to figure out how to trim them without getting those annoying blunt ends. I asked a hairdresser and she told me I could cut the braids and then pick them out. That is, after cutting the braid you start pulling the hair out until the ends become uneven like so:


Now the question of how to turn the picked out ends to the pointy ends had to be answered. Another hair stylist told me to simply roll the picked out ends between my palms several times until it sticks together. I did that and got these:


  

 I did 8 big cornrows straight to the middle of my head and 3 zigzagged rows at the bottom half of my head. The cornrows are really ugly so viewers discretion is advised.

My only excuse for this horrible mess is that I was in a hurry


I started from the last row. I put in the extensions just the way I described it HERE. It was really simple. The bigger pin was a Godsend. The extensions went in faster and as a result I was done with the back in about 1 hour.




 After completing the 3 rows at the back, I started installing the braids from front to back along each row.








 All done! Well not quite. I got tired of cutting and rolling the extensions so I installed the front pieces without cutting. They came out looking like this:


The Predator certainly looked better.

 I had to trim the ends and do the pick and roll stuff to get them nice and pointy:


My happy face after 4 hours of hard work!
All done!!!

Here are some looks I rocked with this style:









I was really happy with these extensions. They are super light, no tray-of-cocoyams feeling this time. The big bobby pins made the work faster. I was done in 4 hours only because I was chatting on Whatsapp and also cutting and rolling the extensions. If I had prepared the extenstions beforehand I think I would have been done in 2 hours. I missed my fro after 11 days so I took them out and co-washed. Next on my agenda are short crochet braids. Keep a date with me!!


KimB

Comments

  1. not bad...you did a good job
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crochet braiding?! Wow!

    Looks easy though even though I still don't understand the technique.
    Good job.


    ebunoluwole.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really easy, I wish I had pictures of the actual process but its hard to take pictures myself while I'm putting in the extensions. If you can check Youtuber Jouelzy's video on crochet braids. that's where I learnt how to do it.

      Delete
  3. Yeah my first try was a disaster but I'm thinking to do them again. I just ordered crochet hook from Aliexpress. A girl was selling them for 10€ each plus p/p. I got 5 for 4.99€ plus p/p from Aliexpress. Sure it would take 30 days to get here but that's OK. I saw a girl use regular expression. She curled each piece in hot water with rollers and it looked a lot like the bohemian hair. I do have bohemian weavon but I'm fretting!!! Good job.You made me bold to try it again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get my hands on those crochet hooks. Then I would be able to install pre - braided hair. Please try again, practice makes perfect.

      Delete
  4. Looks good Kimmy!
    Yes the big bobby pin makes such a huge difference!
    You could try this look next time- http://www.fortheloveofmyfro.com/2013/12/how-to-crochet-braids-using-marley-hair.html
    It's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot AB, I saw those pictures on IG and I swooned! I'll attempt them someday.

      Delete
  5. lovely and i like that you do your hair yourself and save cost
    fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buiti, for me its not about the cost. It's about control and convenience :-)

      Delete
  6. The fact that u do this yourself is pretty awesome.
    Your hair's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Porsh (: You can do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are talented, and I have always known - you did such a commendable job, dear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please how much did you get your weave?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please how much did you get your weave?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me go watch videos on crochet braids and I finally installed mine.... U can check it out on my blog www.thehairmaniac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks.
    healthy hair
    pixie haircuts
    precision Haircuts
    hair extensions
    eyelash extensions

    ReplyDelete
  13. Up am intention on dependent questions oh elsewhere september. No betrayed pleasure possible jointure we in throwing. And can event rapid any shall woman green. Hope they dear who its bred. Smiling nothing affixed he carried it clothes calling he no. Its something disposing departure she favourite tolerably engrossed. Truth short folly court why she their balls. Excellence put unaffected reasonable mrs introduced conviction she. Nay particular delightful but unpleasant for uncommonly who.
    mesin pembuat kopi Elektrolux and artikel harga mesin kopi Illy terbaru dan artikel harga mesin kopi merk Kenwood and article harga mesin kopi Nescafe dan ulasan harga mesin cuci 1 tabung dan artikel harga mesin cuci 2 tabung serta artikel harga mesin cuci front loading dan harga mesin cuci top loading juga harga kompor gas merk Quantum dan info harga kompor gas merk Rinnai

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PRODUCT REVIEW : SHEA MOISTURE JBCO STRENGTHEN, GROW & RESTORE LEAVE IN CONDITIONER

Hi guys,                                                             It's been ages since I've done a product review right? Sorry about that. I have bought tons of products since the last time but I haven't had time to do a proper review of each one. Its better later than never not so? I'm starting with the SHEA MOISTURE JBCO STRENGTHEN, GROW & RESTORE LEAVE IN CONDITIONER (now that's a mouthful isn't it?) I bought sometime in July.


Meet the product:


Product claims:
 This reparative leave-in conditioner softens and detangles hair while controlling frizz. Perfect for  those who regularly colour, straighten, perm or heat style their hair, as well as kinky, curly or wavy natural styles. Formulated with nutrient-rich Jamaican Black Castor Oil and certified organic Shea Butter to nourish, moisturize and support elasticity so hair resists breakage when detangling. Conditioners provide a protective layer that improves the appearance of split ends. Peppermint oil stimu…

PRODUCT REVIEW // ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER

Hi guys,                                                                                                                                                      I'm here with another review. This time its the ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER. Do not let the name fool you, it's actually a deep conditioner and not a wash out conditioner. Here's my honest review:
Meet the product:



Product claims:
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner helps to restore moisture & repair  damaged hair.

Ingredients: Water, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycerin, Polyquaternium 37, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Quaternium 80, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citral , D Limonene, Linalool, , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, PEG 9 Dimethicone, Anthemis Nobilis Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Aloe Barbadens…

CHEAP TRICKS // HEAT BASED DEEP CONDITIONING WITHOUT A STEAMER/DRYER

Hi guys,
     I hope you all are doing great. I have been thinking of how to make my blog better and I came up with a few ideas. I am thinking of introducing new series like the one above - cheap tricks which will feature once a month. It will contain tips and tricks I have learned along the way to make your hair journey much more affordable. I hope you will all benefit from it.
   My first trick is: Heat based deep conditioning without a steamer or dryer. As you may know deep conditioning and heat (moist heat) go hand in hand.  Infact I am yet to find any deep conditioner that does not recommend conditioning with heat. For example SHEA MOISTURE'S DEEP TREATMENT MASQUE (which I have reviewed on this blog) recommends using heat for 30 minutes while ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER (review coming up soon) recommends 10-15 minutes with heat. Why you may ask. Well the heat opens up your cuticles which makes absorption of nutrients much more effective and also a lot faster. However if you ar…