Skip to main content

DIY MID-LENGTH CROCHET BRAIDS

Hi guys,
    My hair has been through a lot of manipulation these last couple of weeks so I decided to give it a well deserved break. I had been dreaming of crochet braids for a while but I was a little hesitant because of how my last crochet braiding went. Remember? It took over 6 hours and was so heavy I had to remove them almost immediately. All in all I was desperate to put my hair in a protective style so I manned up and tried my hands on crochet braids once again. This time it was a lot better, faster and lighter. The reason? I used a bigger bobby pin and I used a different brand of Marley hair.

I found bigger bobby pins!

Compared with the one I used the last time.

I used this Marley braiding hair from Supreme. It was really light. I used one and a half packets:



The Marley hair was too long for me. I wanted medium length braids so I had to figure out how to trim them without getting those annoying blunt ends. I asked a hairdresser and she told me I could cut the braids and then pick them out. That is, after cutting the braid you start pulling the hair out until the ends become uneven like so:


Now the question of how to turn the picked out ends to the pointy ends had to be answered. Another hair stylist told me to simply roll the picked out ends between my palms several times until it sticks together. I did that and got these:


  

 I did 8 big cornrows straight to the middle of my head and 3 zigzagged rows at the bottom half of my head. The cornrows are really ugly so viewers discretion is advised.

My only excuse for this horrible mess is that I was in a hurry


I started from the last row. I put in the extensions just the way I described it HERE. It was really simple. The bigger pin was a Godsend. The extensions went in faster and as a result I was done with the back in about 1 hour.




 After completing the 3 rows at the back, I started installing the braids from front to back along each row.








 All done! Well not quite. I got tired of cutting and rolling the extensions so I installed the front pieces without cutting. They came out looking like this:


The Predator certainly looked better.

 I had to trim the ends and do the pick and roll stuff to get them nice and pointy:


My happy face after 4 hours of hard work!
All done!!!

Here are some looks I rocked with this style:









I was really happy with these extensions. They are super light, no tray-of-cocoyams feeling this time. The big bobby pins made the work faster. I was done in 4 hours only because I was chatting on Whatsapp and also cutting and rolling the extensions. If I had prepared the extenstions beforehand I think I would have been done in 2 hours. I missed my fro after 11 days so I took them out and co-washed. Next on my agenda are short crochet braids. Keep a date with me!!


KimB

Comments

  1. not bad...you did a good job
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crochet braiding?! Wow!

    Looks easy though even though I still don't understand the technique.
    Good job.


    ebunoluwole.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really easy, I wish I had pictures of the actual process but its hard to take pictures myself while I'm putting in the extensions. If you can check Youtuber Jouelzy's video on crochet braids. that's where I learnt how to do it.

      Delete
  3. Yeah my first try was a disaster but I'm thinking to do them again. I just ordered crochet hook from Aliexpress. A girl was selling them for 10€ each plus p/p. I got 5 for 4.99€ plus p/p from Aliexpress. Sure it would take 30 days to get here but that's OK. I saw a girl use regular expression. She curled each piece in hot water with rollers and it looked a lot like the bohemian hair. I do have bohemian weavon but I'm fretting!!! Good job.You made me bold to try it again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get my hands on those crochet hooks. Then I would be able to install pre - braided hair. Please try again, practice makes perfect.

      Delete
  4. lovely and i like that you do your hair yourself and save cost
    fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buiti, for me its not about the cost. It's about control and convenience :-)

      Delete
  5. The fact that u do this yourself is pretty awesome.
    Your hair's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks alot AB, I saw those pictures on IG and I swooned! I'll attempt them someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Porsh (: You can do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are talented, and I have always known - you did such a commendable job, dear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please how much did you get your weave?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please how much did you get your weave?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me go watch videos on crochet braids and I finally installed mine.... U can check it out on my blog www.thehairmaniac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks.
    healthy hair
    pixie haircuts
    precision Haircuts
    hair extensions
    eyelash extensions

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PRODUCT REVIEW // ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER

Hi guys,                                                                                                                                                      I'm here with another review. This time its the ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER. Do not let the name fool you, it's actually a deep conditioner and not a wash out conditioner. Here's my honest review: Meet the product:     Product claims:   Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner helps to restore moisture & repair  damaged hair. Ingredients: Water, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycerin, Polyquaternium 37, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Quaternium 80, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citral , D Limonene, Linalool, , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, PEG 9 Dimethicone, Anthemis Nobilis Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Rosmarinus Officinal

DIY// HOW TO MAKE AN APPLICATOR BOTTLE

Hi guys,      I hope you are all doing well. I have missed blogging so much and I feel really good that I can now so it more often since my schedule is getting a bit less crowded. I also hope you like the new blog design.     If you live in Nigeria then you are aware that things are getting out of hand financially. The recession is hitting really hard and it seems no one is immune. Inspite of this I do not want my Fro to suffer so I am working on making a lot of homemade products and utensils to ensure my hair doesn't feel the strain of the harsh economy.    Today I will be showing you how to make an APPLICATOR bottle from any old plastic bottle you have at home. Why bother you ask? Read my post about different ways to use an  Applicator bottle .       Let's get right into it. Here's what you'll need: Small plastic bottle with cover A candle/lighter/gas A match stick Scissors METHOD 1. Remove the bottle cover from the bottle. Using the scissors hold t

How to create a a sleek faux bun with short natural hair!!!!

Hi people!    So its been a while since my last post and I apologize. I have been all kinds of busy but I have got something really cool for you all today. I haven't really done any hairstyle posts on this blog  because in my bid to retain length I just cornrow and throw on a wig. I have been doing that for months with the random Afro-puff thrown in once in awhile but this week I just wasn't  in the mood for any of my wigs. I decided to finally do something I have been dying to do: a faux bun!! Its super easy just follow the steps below and you'll be rocking your faux bun in a couple of minutes :-)                                                                                                Preparing my hair I stretched my hair with my cornrows first. I took out the braids then moisturised and sealed: My stretched hair  I sectioned my hair into 2 parts. I started from the front section. I added some Ecostyler gel, brushed it lightly with a toothbrush and pulled